This beautiful small parish lies in the middle of an imaginary triangle in the valley of creek Zámor surrounded by Etyek, Sóskút and Gyúró just at the bottom of the eastern Vértes hills and the hills of Buda south from the border of Pest county. It stands out from the surrounding villages with its advanced infrastructure – electric, gas and water systems, modern sewage system and bituminous carpet roads.

At Pusztazámor –in contrast with the neighboring parishes – you won’t be able to find an archaic village picturesque due to its historical, economical and social background. There is no use looking for typical picturesque village sights like the ones in Etyek, Biatorbágy, Sóskút and the old village of Tárnok, the long houses with open porches or traditional country features or road facilities such as a village center with a main square in front, with a temple and a well. However there are some architectural and historical curiosities in the village that the population of almost a thousand can be proud of.

Approaching from Sóskút –no rail connection- first we can see the waterworks on the hills on edge of the village then entering the village we are surrounded by beautiful suburban houses built between 1980 and 1990. At the home of Peter Konrad we can see a collection of traditional equipment and tools that would even make a collector envious.

A curiosity of the village is the green-house built out of gravel-bricks on Mentler Mihály Street behind the waterworks.

At approximately half kilometers from the edge of the village there is the biggest sight of the area, the Barcza mansion built in the 18th century. It is situated along the creek Zámor in the 3ha arboretum with its eclectic architectural style that has been rebuilt several times.

Because of the lack of concrete data on when the mansion was built there are only assumptions and expert opinions. Today’s look of the mansion was finalized in the 19th century however the hundred year old trees in the baroque style garden suggests that it was built in the 18th century. The main building of the mansion was estimated to be built between 1859 and 1877 after the demolition of the old one. The second refurbishment period of the mansion –when it became as it can be seen today- was between 1884 and 1922. The garden façade of the building bares a tower adornment. Above the garden exit of the building above the open pediment we can see the coat of arms of the Barcza family, a plated arm holding three roses above the crown. Above the shield on the helmet we can see a plated arm and an oak tree around the shield.

After World War II the mansion suffered the fate of so many similar buildings in the country. Its maintenance has been neglected, under its diverse functions it has lost its character almost altogether, its architecture got ran down however thanks to the people living here and its function as a school building the garden and the building survived. In the second half of 1990 the mansion has been sold by the council. The new owner, Janos Krajcsovics, an antique dealer restored the building to its 19th century eclectic form based on the original documents and plans. During the restoration the main aim was to keep the look of the building. They walled in the later breaks, made corrections on the doors and windows of the building and restored the garden entrance to its original purpose and form and restored the plasterwork.


There is a beautiful view from the terrace looking at the beautifully composed pond in the back of the clearing with a pavilion on the other side. The almost 120 year old garden with its walk path surrounded by horse-chestnut trees has been hidden unknown among our historical gardens all over the country though it could well hold its own among the most beautiful gardens of the area.

We can find a wide range of trees like; horse-chestnut trees, silver sprices, field elm trees, lash trees, yew trees, and small leaf lime trees and behind the garden pavilion a sycamore tree with 500cm width. Then progressing to the right towards the corner of the garden we find cottonwood trees, maple trees, pine trees, acacia trees and lime trees. Arriving to the corner we can see the romantic round shaped tower that provided a stunning view of the garden and the lake that used to be on the other side of the creek. Left to the tower a neo-gothic bridge takes us over the creek Zámor. Right to the tower an arabesque stone fence closes down the garden.

On the right of the clearing un unexpected sight awaits us: in front of the red loft of a beautiful beech tree we can see a 25m tall oak tree that is about 250-300 years old closing the wonderful scenery of the garden.


After the many hours of hard work and vast amount of money put into the restoration of the building it is again a sight to remember functioning as an exclusive stable-hotel today. There is an antique store in the forefront of the building and there is a collection of valuable antiques inside the main hall and the lounge. The owner gladly provides space for social and cultural events in the mansion as well as in the garden.

Progressing further down on the main road after a small hill we arrive to the geographical center of the village where there are main roads leading to the East and West. The belfry was raised of stones from Sóskút for the 900th anniversary of prince St Imre in 1930. There is a picture of St Imre on the side of it. It was built on the model of the Mentler bell tower in the graveyard.


Behind the belfry in the one story L shaped building there is a plastic processing plant operating. Originally this was the place where the 18th century Mentler mansion stood which later was used for warehouse purposes.

Opposite the belfry we can see the unit of the public school built in the last century. On the 30th anniversary of his passing the school took the name St Imre Primary School that has been immortalized within marble on the side of the building.

Behind the old school building the road turns into a small square. This is the place where the locals raised the honorary monuments for the victims of the World Wars and of the revolution in 1848-1849 on its 150th anniversary. There is the mayor’s office and a small food store around the square. The locals usually celebrate their outdoor celebrations. The mayor’s office and the doctor’s office behind it operate in a mansion-like building in a small park with old trees.

Progressing North-West from the belfry we find the newest pride of the village under 27 Petőfi Sándor Street, a two story modern building containing an elementary school with eight classrooms a nursery and a separate gym established in 1998.

Going on we can see the small church before the parish cross where the community holds its spiritual gatherings (Imre Eszéki holds mass every Sunday from the presbytery in Sóskút). The main sight of the small church is the white marble statue of Christ made in Venice. The beautiful masterpiece was a gift from Mrs Károly Barcza Irma Horváth in 1944.

Behind the parish cross the road is divided. The left road takes us to Gyúró while the other progresses as Petőfi Sándor Street towards Etyek. Following the road to Gyúró we can get to the parishes graveyard on the hills over the village. Here we can see the main sight of Pusztazámor, the hermitage built in the 18th century. The building was established by magistrate Mihály Mentler who reestablished the area after the Turkish occupation in 1758. According to the „canonica visitatio” from 1761 a horseshoe shaped 13th century roman temple ruin, about 11m long and 6,5m wide was used at the building of the hermitage.

The building which forms a unit with the bell tower and the monk cells is today’s sole baroque style monument considering its architectural, layout and its traditional and historical values.

There are notes about the furniture destroyed during the war, namely a sarcophagus shaped wooden altar on top with a carved baroque monstrance. Its picture was painted by Károly Jakobey in 1879 after his work Rafael Transfigurazione. Another painting that pictured the „Nagyszombati csodatevő Szűz” has been moved to the Museum of Religion History in Székesfehérvár. On the sides of the culprit there were four evangelist pictures sadly it has been destroyed. Among its mentionable equipment there is a baroque silver torch.


On the top of the parish church there is a small wooden tower. On the left a stone ornamented entrance on the right a stone framed crypt entrance and on the floor level two stone windows can be seen. The building as seen from the South side; stone framed door bearing the letters HIS with one window on the first and two on the top floor. The eastern half round shaped wall is supported by three pillars. The inner space is divided to three sections with an ornamented stone arch and a round shaped sanctuary. We get to the entrance hall of the church through an architrave segmented stone arched corridor. There is a set of rooms on the top floor, a library, a bedroom and doors leading to the choir and to the pulpit.

Architect Dr Gyula Istvanffy had already designed the restoration plans in 1974 but could only realize them in 1991. Thanks to the parish of Székesfehérvár, the county council, the joint help of the community and the help and will of many individuals the old church was renovated in three years by 26th November 1994. The building was consecrated by bishop Nándor Takács. The building remained in the original form where it was possible or at least it resembles the original where it had to be rebuilt. Since then there are new ceramic pictures decorating the walls made by professor Gyula László’s apprentice Barna Búza.

Attaching to the church we can see the bell tower with its stone walled, shingle roofed architecture and a simple stone entrance with wrought iron gate. The bells are from 1774 and 1779, the smallest of them from 1749 baring the line „VOX CLAMANTIS IN DESERTO” (the most valuable bell was stolen in 2000).

The church gives place for an all year religious history exhibition. Ferenc Bachoffer deals with the exhibition. He can be found under 1 Hunyadi János Street.

It is worth visiting the graves of the more significant families of Pusztazámor in the graveyard. The stunning view of the region can be seen from the graveyard. In good weather conditions you can see Biatorbágy, the hill covered region of Sóskút and even the Zsámbék basin.

Returning to the center of the village and going down on the eastern road from the belfry we can see the historical cellars of the village as well as the premises of the village entrepreneurs. Leaving the inhabited area behind after about 3,5km, we find the country’s largest waste processing plants operated by the Fővárosi Közterület-fenntartó Rt. The citizens of Pusztazámor supported the construction of the plant via a referendum and in compensation the area’s infrastructure has been developed.

The plant was constructed with a double isolation system – 50cm special water sealing isolator and a plastic isolator. A special sensor system checks the isolators even years after the plant has reached its limit. Soil is put upon the layers of waste according to EU regulations which makes the area greener after planting trees and vegetation. Re-cultivation processes are operated by Utilis Kft. in rhythm with the plants progress. The operation of the plant is under constant supervision from the authorities and social groups.
The waste processing plant provides jobs for the citizens of Pusztazámor and also made developments possible with the aid of the Fővárosi Önkormányzat (council of Budapest) who invested millions into building the road to the plant and connecting the region with the M7 highway. Turning left after the waste processing plant you can either get to Tárnok or onto the M7. Using this road it is much easier to approach Pusztazámor from Budapest.

Larger stone crucifixes

The parishes cross
Originally it stood at the place where they raised the belfry for the anniversary of St Imre during the last century. It is said that it had been moved in 1913 to the crossroads out of public contributions.

Korláth cross
It is standing at the end of Kereszt Street on the edge of the village (approaching from Sóskűt the first street on the right). It has been raised by the Korláth family in the 18th century.

The Imre Barcza cross
It is the latest stone crucifix in the region. It has been raised in 1926 by Imre Barcza to the memory of his newborn son and the health of her wife Henriette Széchenyi. It was consecrated by the renowned scholar Dr Mihály Kmoskó who acted as the parishes curate at the time.

Decrease font size Default font size Increase font size