History and Coat of Arms


The first habitants of the yellow soil covered area settled down approximately 3000 years ago. Its earliest settlers date back to the urn-grave period during the bronze age. Among the artifacts there are clay pottery items, pots, copper and brass tools and also iron weapons. A roman military path used to operate south of the village which has been validated by the two bountiful roman sepulchers that were excavated in the previous century. They are kept at the National Museum.

The archeologists found remains of 7th-9th century settlements that dated back pre-settlement of the Magyars in Hungary. Between 1999 and 2000 1234 graves were discovered from the Avar Age. Dr Éva Maróti, head archeologist of the excavation stated the following:
„Altough the majority of the graves were pillaged, the male female and child resting places still held valuable findings. There were parts of everyday garments (buckles, dress and hair accessories, belts and belt buckles), capital equipments (knives, coils, honing stones and pin holders) and items of jewellery (pearls, brass earrings, rings and bracelets). Strangely enough we have only found a few weapons these were larger daggers, knives, iron arrow heads and the bone structures of arrows. They burried the departed with food to provide for them for the long journey beyond hence why we have found pots and bones of animals.”
In the Avar Age it was not uncommon for the soldiers to be burried with their horses next to them. At Pusztazámor we have found bones of a horse in one occasion. However in another three occasions we found remains of dogs, burried with their masters.
Usually they were burried in single graves in a lying position on their backs facing North-West or South-East. In some cases however, probably out of superstitious reasons the dead were buried on their sides with their legs pulled up. In some of the graves there were more than one remains these were: resting places for a married couple, for a mother with her child and in one occasion for three children.

This occurrence, baring significant scientific magnitude was found at the former place of Barcza-tanya where the construction of the Communal Waste Processing Plant was being started. The excavation of the site was funded by Fővárosi Közterület-fenntartó Rt. (Public Space Maintanance Corp. of Budapest). Findings were taken to the Directory of Museums of Pest County to the Ferenczy Museum in Szentendre.



The valley of creek Zámori has been occupied by Hungarian settlers since the Árpád age. According to the legends this is where the deputy of king Andrews, the son of Vazul blinded I Orseolo Peter who was after the throne of St Istvan. Kálti Márk mentions the village of Zamur when he tells the story of the capture and torture of Peter in the pictured chronicles of the 14th century. The name Zumur was of the owners of this area who at that point owned some of today’s settlements such as Szomor, Zámoly and Pusztazámor. It is not clear which settlement the chronicler was talking about.



Zámor is mention in middle aged documents of letters of bestowment and property suits. From 1279 we can follow the changes in the ownership of the village up until 1556 when Korláth Mihály was awarded with the ownership as a royal gift for defending the castle of Huszt.

Under the Turkish occupation the area became deserted, only one or two families remained to tell the tale.

In the 18th century the brothers Korláth; Istvan and Farkas became the owners of the land. In 1755 the Mentler family got into the Korláth family through marriage then later on, by a similar method the Barcza family owned the land until the redistribution of the lands in 1945.

The first records of the population of Pusztazámor are from 1746 which was 25 at the time and it also mentions the temple of the deserted property. The descendants of the Mentler family were from Trencsény and Pozsony county so in the 1700’s they brought cotters from there. The population of the village gradually grew with German, Slovakian and Hungarian immigrants. These people received lands and materials like gravel to build houses and also lands and the right to cultivate grapes. The ancestors of people living in the village today were from this period such as; (Futó, Szabó, Farkas, Szente, Ágoston, Szilágyi, Földi, Konrád, Hoffer, Knupfer, Bedő, Rehus, Holinszki, Petró, Hornyák, Proháczik, Csóli, Lizicska, Kuzsel, Kurek, Bielik, Fuzik, Pátrovics).

The decades long settling of immigrants got the population of the village up to 400-500 by the last century which grew during the last century and reached today’s population of 800-950.

In 1758 magistrate Mihály Mentler, with the inclusion of the remains from the 13th century roman temple built the anchorite temple on the hill of Zámor for Istvan Lethy aka (father Jeromos) who had been living around Nagyszombat as a hermit but was allowed to live at the hermitage on Zámor hills and to beg in the settlements of the area. Then Philippus Munkhuber a monk from the Agoston order lived at the hermitage. After the secularization of II Joseph “father Laci” found shelter at the hermitage. After 1818 it had been unoccupied. From 1888-1945 it was used as a parish church which was made possible with the donations of a few thousand forints and his 120kh land on the borderlands of Érd from András Knupfer for the foundations of a catholic parish church. The crypt of the parish church contains the graves of Károly and János Mentler among others.

The Korláth-Mentler family lived in a modest mansion just south of creek Zámori (the sight of today’s Plast plastic works). The beautiful garden that reached across the creek shows the affection towards nature and the excellent taste of Mihály Mentler.

The descendent of the Mentler family, Barcza Károly continued with the expansion of the village. During the second half of the 19th century he had a new mansion built in classicist style and he also got the creek garden between the two mansions made into an arboretum.

The first school in Pusztazámor was founded in in the 1870’s with the benefits and hard work of Károly Móri-Kőnig. Altrough the 1900’s the village was either autonomous or connected with Sóskút or Gyúró as an administrative unit.

120 residents took part in World War I, 18 of them got the honors for killed in action. The roll of honor has been embedded in an honorary monument built by Imre Barcza. An honorary monument for those killed in action during World War II has been raised by the residents of the village funded by contributions from the widows of the war.

During World War II soviet soldiers used the wooden roof support of the church building for firing so the building started on a route of devastation by leaps and bounds.

During the war house Koroda, today’s mayor’s office acted as base of operations under the command of Marshall Tolbuchin. They coordinated the siege of Budapest from here. The mansion had a beautiful park with native trees. The house also contained a preserved brass head of Rákóczy in wooden frame that is now exhibited in the museum of Székesfehérvár. The residents of the village including Imre Barcza and Pál Széchenyi from the Barcza family as well as the preacher of the village Ipoly Nagy was taken by the soviet army to be deported to labor camps. Károly Barcza sent his polish wife, former ambassadress for malta, baroness Litka after them who managed to bring them back without any harm from Véresacsa. Only a couple settlements can say the fact that it did not have to mourn anyone but its soldiers killed in action. Praise this woman for all her strength and will.

After the war the village became quiet. The new authority did not have any major plans in mind for the small village that had been stripped of all its economical and cultural inheritance. Because of its lack of importance the village was annexed to Sóskút and in 1951 was moved from Fejér county to Pest county. The hermitage on the hills of Zámor became a ruin, the parish house closed up, the mansion was used as spaces for communal accommodations then in 1953 it acted as a parish church while in the 1960’s it was used as a school building with the residents of the village preserving it from devastation.

A common council was established in 1969 with Sóskút which after the changes made in legislation in 1985 had three separate magistrates to manage the village’s day to day affairs.

Water conduit service was installed during 1977-1978.



The Coat of Arms

The coat of arms is a shield divided into four equal parts. On the top left part there is a silver temple with a tower and two entrances. There is a double cross on the top of the temple. The top right quarter is striped into three with red and silver colors. The right bottom quarter pictures an oak with four leafs and three yields. The bottom left quarter is again striped into three with the colors red and silver. The acorns of the oak symbolize the three settling nations, German, Slovakian and Hungarian after the Turkish occupation. The blue and green colors of the coat of arms refer to the village’s last owners the Barcza family. The red and silver stripes refer to the parish’s origin of the Árpád age and to the legend that in 1046 Orseolo Péter was captured here by chief Vata at Zumurfalva. The temple resembles the parish church built in 1758 and restored to its original form in 1994 on hills Zámor.

The flag of Pusztazámor is in a proportion 3/2 with the crest in the white middle.

Decrease font size Default font size Increase font size